In this article, we discuss about, how you can easily get started with the SQL Server Data Platform and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
SQL Server provides a wide range of technologies which can help you organize your data (structured, semi-structure or even unstructured) and transform them from raw data into valuable knowledge.
To get started with SQL Server you just need two things:
- SQL Server Database Engine
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS – client tool)
Installing SQL Server Express Edition
For installing SQL Server Database Engine, you can just download and install SQL Server Express edition which is free.
After installing SQL Server Express Edition you will need a way to connect to the database engine in order to work. For doing that, you just need to download and install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), which is also free.
Enroll to my online course on Udemy, titled “SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners” and get started with SQL Server on both Windows and Linux in no time!
About SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
With SQL Server Management Studio you can do just about anything. You can create databases, tables, functions, views, stored procedures and other database objects using the GUI or with T-SQL code.
Here’s a screenshot of SQL Server Management studio where I’m in the process of creating a new database named “TestDB“:
And here’s a screenshot where I’m creating a new table in the “TestDB” database:
The above should get you started!
However, if you are looking for a complete guide on how to get started with SQL Server, I have created a 2-hour online course which can definitely help you.
See below for more info!
Featured Online Courses:
- A Guide on How to Start and Monetize a Successful Blog
- Introduction to Azure Database for MySQL
- Working with Python on Windows and SQL Server Databases
- Boost SQL Server Database Performance with In-Memory OLTP
- Introduction to Azure SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Administration Tips
- SQL Server Fundamentals – SQL Database for Beginners
- Essential SQL Server Development Tips for SQL Developers
- Introduction to Computer Programming for Beginners
- .NET Programming for Beginners – Windows Forms with C#
- Introduction to SQL Server Machine Learning Services
- SQL Server 2019: What’s New – New and Enhanced Features
- Entity Framework: Getting Started – Complete Beginners Guide
- How to Import and Export Data in SQL Server Databases
- Learn How to Install and Start Using SQL Server in 30 Mins
- What is SQL Server Management Studio?
- What are T-SQL Snippets in SSMS?
- What are SQL Server Stored Procedures?
- Benefits of Using Stored Procedures in Databases
- Benefits of Primary Keys in Database Tables
- How do I Create a Formula in a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet?
- What can you do using SQL Server?
- Difference Between SQL and SQL Server
- Differences Between Batch and Streaming Data
- How to Check SQL Server Version
- How to Create Databases in SQL Server
- How to Create and Alter Tables in SQL Server Databases
- How to Create Database Views in SQL Server and what are their Benefits
- All our articles on databases.
Reference: TechHowTos.com (http://www.techhowtos.com)
Rate this article:
Recommended eBooks on SQL Server: